Tuesday, July 1, 2008

In Bruges

If you plan on seeing this movie don't read on. Or do. In fact, please read this. You'll at least be an informed viewer.

One of the funniest jokes contained in the movie In Bruges is how hilariously mismarketed it was. Please indulge me and look at this Trailer before you continue reading.

The thing about the trailer is that it contains within it every single instance of humor that is in the movie. Hell there's even a joke in the trailer that wasn't in the movie at all. In Bruges was marketed as a quirky action-comedey. When in fact it was a drama with some comedic relief. For the love of god the central event upon which the movie turns is the fact that the main character accidentally killed a 6 year old in a church. The main character is suicidal, and his friend is asked to take him out.

Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant movie. Really good, twisted entertainment. But an "action packed comedy" it is not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, seeing that trailer and then reading the last part of what you wrote gave me an incredibly disturbed feeling. That is incredibly mismarketed. I'm curious about it so I'll have to watch it. It gave me the idea that it was something similar to Hot Fuzz or Shawn of the Dead.

Le Reveur said...

The Simpson's movie.

Every joke was in the previews.

I saw the movie and nothing was new.

It made me sad.

Anonymous said...

i agree, its an amazing and clever movie.