Monday, July 21, 2008

Las Vegas Wash

Here I am again talking about the Las Vegas Wash. I took some more photos when I went out with Steven the other night. I think I'll discuss how hard these trips have been. I really enjoy cities and structures and decay. So these trips into nature can be compared easily to culture shock. I find myself stumbling around (metaphorically and sometimes literally) with my camera. Water? Trees? Nature? Grass? Fuck, where's the subtle comment on the frailty of society, the crumbling relics of our time, and for that matter the impermanence of things? All I see is an affirmation of the renewal of life, the dominance of life over hardship, the strength of nature.

Oh, I'm being told that those are some of the points of nature photography. My point is that this is all very hard for me. It's another mindset you have to fit into like a new pair of shoes. Please enjoy what I was able to come up with.



6 comments:

Le Reveur said...

I'm surprised you don't do more sunset photography. We get sunsets here unlike anything anywhere else...

Daniel Clark said...

I find sunset photographs to pale in comparison to the real thing. I stopped doing those as soon as I realized this.

Le Reveur said...

lol, that'd make sense.

If only there was a camera capable...

Deanna said...

I understand that this is sort of your style, but I feel like you are relying too heavily on people in your nature photography. When I look at this post and then look at the previous one from the wetlands park, I feel like I'm seeing the same photo over and over. This is because the subject of the majority of your "nature" photographs have a person (you? though the silhouettes make it hard to tell sometimes). I'm guessing that one of the reasons your putting yourself or whoever into these photos because it can be hard to find a SUBJECT in nature shots, and also probably because you're clinging a bit to your "typical" style of photography instead of completely letting go to try this new type.

If I'm completely off, please feel free to ignore me.

Anyway, having a human subject draws away so much from the nature that I hardly notice it. I definitely don't notice it at first, and then I take in the background, but it has SO LITTLE significance that I have a hard time looking at this as nature photography. I only think about the nature in relation to the person in the photos-how it relates to HIM, why HE ended up there, etc.

You know much more about photography than I do. I took one five week class. I don't know the "definition" of nature photography, or your definition. But I would like to see you try some shots without people. Find subjects in the environment. Just give it a shot, see what you get.

Daniel Clark said...

That's genius! Lol, that was totally serious. It looks kind of sarcastic but it's totally not. This is why I have this blog! You cracked open my difficulties like a shell I didn't have the leverage to open myself. I will definitely be trying that. I've been getting tired of people shots anyways.

Deanna said...

Well glad that helped :)