Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Mini-Vacation.

So I'm back from my mini-vacation on the Las Vegas strip. I brought my camera thinking I'd be inundated with things to take pictures of. And in one sense I kind of was. But I ended up just leaving it in the hotel room and enjoying everything without thinking about pictures and such. It was nice.

However, when I went out alone that night for the express purpose of getting photos, I found it ridiculously hard to actually take any. I have this belief about photography. (And other photographers disagree with me deeply. And indeed other photographers are very good at this very thing.) But I despise the building and architecture shot. There is an exception to every rule however. And I'll probably break this rule hundreds of times in my lifetime, but a building is like a giant sculpture. Taking pictures of it and claiming it as your own seems cheap to me. It'd be like walking into a gallery and taking a picture of a painting. So I was pretty much at a loss on the strip. A line of buildings so beautiful it's crazy. Lights flashing, glowing, dancing. I found myself unable to document most of it. What I got was about three shots on the strip that I liked.





Walking back to the hotel room I repeated to myself that it was okay. Not every outing had to be a success. And then I walked back into the hotel room. And right before me was the subject of the last five shots you'll see.







The hotel room was amazing. Lit almost entirely by the green lights aimed at the MGM building I found myself working with contrast in entirely different ways. I feel the results are pretty pleasing. I could have shot the room all night, documenting how we used it. But I grew tired and eventually fell asleep on the windowsill.

3 comments:

Le Reveur said...

If you want introductions to the less flashy side of the Vegas, I might be able to show you around.

And during my urban camping expedition, I discovered something about the strip: it is SO hard to find real people among the tourists and party-goers..

Anonymous said...

That actually makes sense (your opinion on photographing buildings). But then what about Andy Warhol and his Campbell soup series? :)
By the way, who took the pictures of you? A friend? Or did you set a timer?

@le reveur:
"Real people" lost among outsiders and pleasure-seekers... What a deep observation. Definitely an essay (if not a novel) material.

Daniel Clark said...

I took the pictures of myself. tripod and a timer. My best friends. And you two (Grigory and Alex) would really get along.