Monday, October 1, 2007

This is so hard. (update again)

[edit]
Apparently I wasn't clear. If the Nevada Sagebrush can take stances on political and civil rights issues, and they are in tune with my beliefs, why is it I can't further that in the real world? Why do I have to stand behind an editorial I didn't even write and have that be my only voice to the world?

Also, this post is not about wanting to be a part of the Young Democrats again. It's about being a strict Constitutionalist and finding this blatant disregard for rights appalling. It has nothing to do with politics or lofty ideals, and everything to do with laws and concrete facts.
[edit]

I don't know how anyone does it. As a member of the press I must appear nonpartisan at all times. This is incredibly hard to do when all of my friends are actively trying to spread progressive ideas.

I don't understand how I am restricted from being a part of the Young Democrats or standing up for rights. But I'm also banned from reporting on it. Essentially my voice on the matter is being shut. I need someone to explain this to me.

I also don't understand how my newspaper can endorse politicians and legislation, but If I were to do so personally I would be reprimanded.

Anonymity is my savior. I am nonpartisan when I report. But on my own I feel I should be able to do what I feel is right.

Yes, I see the reason why I shouldn't. My actions reflect upon the institution. But can someone please tell me how to deal with the horrible sense of failure I get from not being able to participate or even report on political, or even civil rights cases?

What if I wanted to participate in the Day of Silence?
What if I wanted my name on a petition to free the Jena Six?
What if I wanted to save people from the horrors in Darfur?
What if I wanted Same sex marriage legalized?
What if I wanted to promote my candidate?
What if I wanted to help with the democratic process of the Caucus?
What if I wanted to march in an anti-war protest?
What if I wanted to create ART that expressed my opinions?
What if I was being discriminated against myself?
What if my first amendment rights were at stake?
Oh, wait ALL OF THAT IS FUCKING TRUE!


[EDIT]
WAIT A FUCKING SECOND! Annie Flanzraich (previous editor) pioneered the 'screw the res halls, lets put up signs supporting our political affiliations' movement of Canada hall.

And the Staff editorial put out in this weeks issue of the Sagebrush makes the fact that I can't support this issue myself all the more misguided.

I need opinions. Should I pursue my right to free speech, or should I accept the rules implemented?
[EDIT]

6 comments:

Le Reveur said...

Want to start the "Collective Minds of the Revolution" up again? I can have an article for you by Wednesday.

Oni said...

Then is it worth having that paper? If you can't express yourself outside of it?

Not that I'm saying it's easy. I really don't know how people do it.

Le Reveur said...

You know where I'd advise on this one. Pursue free speech, whether you have a god given or societal "right" to it or not.

Like I said, I'll start something up like CMR in a heartbeat, and have some stuff to you by Sunday if you'd like.

Oni said...

Well, the Jenn in me says,
"GO FOR IT! DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO!!! *cheers*"

But logically, you have a lot at risk. Unless I misunderstood. Just weigh the consequences before you do anything. Think about it.

But really, fighting for free speech is a pretty brave thing when it's this justified.

My answer is a little biased.

MikeMan said...

There's a difference between standing up for the constitution and standing up for a political system of bias. The newspaper

MikeMan said...

Whoops, hit enter. The newspaper stands up for the First Amendment as it is written. The Young Democrats look at laws and constitution a different way (loos/strict constructionist) than non-partisan groups.

If you take photos as a Young Democrat you're likely to skew political issues in your photos by showing something or writing a cutline about something with that bias. That's dangerous dangerous territory.

Think of the readers, especially those opposed to you. "Well he misrepresented this event because he's a young democrat, the Sagebrush is liberal trash." etc. etc.