Sunday, December 30, 2007

Ramble.

So it's my personal opinion that The Killers are one of those bands that will go into history as music that defined a generation. They are the real music that keeps my faith in the music industry. Bands like (and I'm just picking at random here) Flyleaf and System of a Down just sort of create the same song again and again. The same goes for other bands I really like (Disturbed, Kill Hannah, blah blah). The Killers take emotion and spin it into epic Ballads that will reverbate throughout time. Part of what makes them so eternal is that they simply create stories.

There are bands that make "I'm misunderstood, Fuck, why don't you underdstand?" music.
There are bands that make "I hate you, and I hate that, and I hate me, and I hate hats!" music.
There are bands that make "My relationship is really sad/broken/gone" music.
There are bands that make "WAAAAAAAAHHHH!" music.
And there are bands that make music about the full spectrum of emotion. The Killers is one of those bands.

Epic ballads for a generation caught inside a descent into target audiences and mediated reality. That's what The Killers provide, that sober moment inside the haze of manufactured reality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love their songs, and their sound is so unique and always changing. A song that's usually stuck in my head nowadays is either "Shadowplay" or "All the Pretty Faces".