Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Victorville

I know I promised I'd have these up earlier, but was anyone really waiting eagerly at their computers? If you were, I'll buy you ice cream. Now onto the photos.

Steven and I drove a few dozen miles out of our way as we headed home this weekend. When we arrived, the sun was hanging low in the sky. It seemed to hold there just long enough for me to find and save these. An entire suburban neighborhood, abandoned. The world has never felt as surreal as it did here. If I were alone I imagine that I'd have gotten lost in thought and forgotten to take photos. Luckily, Steven snapped away and brought me out of it.

The pavement, cracked and crumbling, winds its way through what seems like hundreds of homes. Trees overgrown, now dead, lay on top of some of the buildings. Gently resting on the smashed walls and caved roofs. Dust lifts up behind my footsteps as I walk where green grass once grew. Hundreds of homes, hundreds of lives. This is what it must feel like to be the last man alive.









No comments: